Sunday, June 28, 2009

Swagger Ready's BET Awards 2009 Recap



Well, well, well. Thus marks the end of yet another BET Awards ceremony. The best way I can describe the four-hour ordeal is that it was a slight disappointment with a few moments that were saving graces. Where to begin?

I wish it was the Michael Jackson tribute that BET hyped it up to be. It generally had a rushed feeling. I know that the circumstances surrounding MJ's death on Thursday, June 25 made BET change up their setup last minute, but it was lacking. I wish there were a variety of musicians to pay their respects to the "King of Pop," not just the handful that were presented to us.

Jamie Foxx overall did a fantastic job of hosting the show. He kicked off the awards in somewhat of a comedic way that I think was smart because it lightened up what could have been an overly emotional event. I was dying when he reenacted the fight scene from "Beat It" and did that half-ass moonwalk across the stage.



I'd have to say hands down that his and Ne-Yo's tributes to Michael were of the highest calibur and were tastefully done. Ne-Yo sung Michael's "Lady in My Life" so beautifully. And the two did "I'll Be There" justice.



My heart broke for Janet Jackson, especially because you could tell that she and her older brother had a close relationship. But I'm so glad she blessed us with her appearance and heartfelt words.

Ciara's rendition of "Heal the World" was surprisingly well done, considering that she's not considered a strong vocalist. Dressed in MJ's iconic military fit, complete with epaulets and tape on her fingertips, Ciara's short and sweet take on the hit was nice.



New Edition, who undoubtedly cite the Jackson 5 as a major influence, also paid homage. I loved that they dressed the part.



As a matter of personal opinion, I could have done without Beyonce and Souljah Boy's performances. Jay killed "D.O.A." Young Money's time on stage was good, but I wish Drake's torn ACL didn't prevent him from giving the performance of his life.

Ne-Yo and Jamie did their thing on "She Got Her Own," featuring Fabolous. Bel Biv Devoe showed us that they still have it with their performance of "Poison." The "Skank Robbers" trailer was hilarious, featuring none other than Shanaynay and Wanda.



And dammit if they didn't stop plugging that awful "Tiny and Toya" reality TV show, starring T.I. and Lil Wayne's baby's daddies.

No comments:

Logo 468x60banner
Apple iTunes